What is the most common mistake B2B marketers make?
Most B2B marketers go along with their daily work without a clear understanding of why they are doing it. In other words, they market aimlessly, which is detrimental to any work strategy, but can be extremely detrimental to marketers, because it affects your company and brand image. Many marketers can sum up the tasks they complete each day, but they probably couldn’t tell you why they do it or explain the bigger target goals they are working to achieve. If you are a marketer and this is how you work, you may want to check to see if you are a mindless marketer.
Additionally, many B2B marketers send out content purposelessly because they have been taught that it's better to send out something than nothing at all. However, this is an enormous marketing mistake. B2B marketing should never be random. If you find that you are sending out content without purpose or consistency, it’s time to take a step back and assess your marketing goals.
How can you check to see if you or your team is marketing mindlessly?
As a B2B marketer, you should always be able to answer the core W’s. These questions can help you check to see if your marketing goals are on target.
Who are you marketing to?
What is the problem your product solves?
Why do customers need you?
Which avenues do you intend to use to market with?
When do you hope to achieve your marketing goals?
Under the main core W’s, there are other guiding questions you should be asking yourself to help focus your work.
- Who: When identifying who you are marketing to, outline your target demographics in detail. Understand what their specific needs are so you can best cater your marketing efforts specifically.
- What: When answering what problem your product solves, consider all the other products on the market. What sets your product apart? When you are defending your product to potential customers, make sure you can confidently demonstrate key features that make your product unique and necessary to them specifically.
- Why: The ideal market is one in which your customers can’t walk away from what you are selling, so whenever you are marketing; remember, you should always be approaching your audience explaining why they need you, not why you need them.
- Which: Which outlets will you use to reach your audience? B2B marketers often make general plans about their content marketing strategies - such as using social media, videos, infographic, blogs, white papers, and more - without considering their audience and the type of content they consume. If you are sending out content that your audience doesn’t use, it will never reach them or be of value.
Additionally, if you don’t have the resources for many types of content, don’t be mediocre in many: excel in a few. It’s better to have a few great and consistent content areas than many lackluster ones.
- When: It’s important to keep track of when you will achieve your marketing goals with a detailed progression plan. Clearly outline your target goals and create comprehensive strategies so that individuals and teams are aware of their responsibilities. Regular check-ins should assess progress as well as follow up on potential leads, customers, and visitors. Online content strategies can be analyzed automatically to track how campaigns are faring for instant feedback. Apps provide great tracking tools to help teams stay on top of checking in on their goals during the marketing process.
Remember, mindless marketing not only sends out inconsistent messages to your audience, but it can also reduce team and company morale. When individual marketers and marketing teams lose a clear sense of purpose, workers may simply do their work without motivation because they feel they aren’t contributing to the bigger company goals.
It’s important that everyone in a company remains enthusiastic and understanding about the core W’s of their job so they don’t feel they are just putting in the motions of work, but marketing teams, as the face of the company, are an especially important group that should be sure not to make the mistake of becoming mindless workers. Hopefully these tips help you to avoid this mistake!